|Above:Guernsey DD SSA Director Tanya Hitchens provides testimony to legislators during state budget hearings in 2015. Photo: Adam Herman / OACB
One of OACB's primary purposes is to act as the voice of the board members and professional staff of Ohio's county boards of developmental disabilities (DD) on matters being considered by policymakers and elected officials at the state and federal level. OACB accomplishes this by:
- Engaging with elected officials at the Ohio Statehouse and in the U.S. Congress on DD issues;
- Empowering county boards of DD to engage with their state and federal elected officials in their home districts;
- Delivering testimony on important DD issues before key committees in Columbus and Washington, D.C.;
- Providing feedback to state agency officials on changes to the Ohio Administrative Code;
- Serving on policy workgroups related to major changes in the administration of DD services in Ohio; and more.
Current Advocacy Objectives
Every year, the Policy Committee of the OACB Board of Trustees sets advocacy priorities based upon members' needs and executes comprehensive strategies to ensure these objectives are achieved. This process is currently underway for calendar year 2017 – to submit feedback to the Policy Committee, please contact Joe Russell, OACB Policy and Advocacy Director, by emailing email@example.com or calling (614) 431-0616.
With the General Assembly not scheduled to meet until after the November 2016 election, OACB trustees and staff are devoting the majority of their time and efforts toward the upcoming State Fiscal Year 2017-18 Budget Process. There will likely be a number of bills that make their way through the legislative process near the end of calendar year 2016 that may require input from Ohio's county boards of DD. As these become known, they will be posted on this page for member review.
There are currently no major legislative or executive proposals for which OACB is actively engaged with federal policymakers at this time.
To speak with someone about DD policy issues at the state or federal level, or to discuss how you can get involved in OACB's advocacy efforts, please contact Joe Russell, Policy and Advocacy Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (614) 431-0616 ext. 7986.